Having your vehicle’s oil changed regularly is one of the simplest and most effective actions you can take to maintain a healthy engine. Getting an oil change increases the longevity and performance of your vehicle’s engine while adding a layer of protection to the internal connections.
When you have your oil changed at Jensen Tire & Auto, you get a complete oil and filter change performed by our experienced and ASE-certified service associates.
How often should oil be changed?
A general rule of thumb is to have your vehicle’s oil changed every 3,000—5,000 miles to minimize engine wear and keep your vehicle’s oil particle-free. However, with modern lubricants, most engines today have recommended oil change intervals of 5,000 to 7,500 miles. Moreover, if your car's engine requires full-synthetic motor oil, it might go as far as 15,000 miles between services! Another sign that it is time for an oil change is the dashboard warning when your oil levels get too low. For your vehicle’s particular service intervals, consult your owner’s manual or ask one of the experienced service associates at Jensen Tire & Auto.
Why should you get regular oil changes?
Your vehicle depends on new oil and filters to keep it running efficiently. Oil must be kept full, clean from fragments, and not burnt. The oil acts as lubrication for essential engine components. Moving engine parts create friction, and over time, that friction wears the parts down and breaks down the oil. As the oil in your engine breaks down, it becomes less effective in lubricating the moving parts of your engine. Oil, or a synthetic lubricant, reduces damage caused by heat from moving components. Having a regular oil change service schedule will increase your engine’s efficiency and extend your engine life.
What is included in an oil change service?
When you get a full-service oil change, your Jensen auto technician will change your car's motor oil with the type that it needs, which could be conventional, synthetic, synthetic blend, or high-mileage oil. You'll also have your used oil and oil filter replaced and recycled.
- Change oil filter
- Check air filter
- Inspect and top-off of all fluids under hood
- Lubricate all fittings
- Examine tires for punctures, wear, and proper inflation
- Check belts and hoses
- Check undercarriage
If it’s been a while since you’ve had an expert change your oil, find a location near you and come on into Jensen Tire & Auto today!
Find a Location Nearest You
Schedule an appointment for oil change today!
Signs that you need an oil change
Your car’s engine must have frequent oil changes to function correctly. Keep to your regular maintenance plan. If you bypass this service, your engine as a whole could be in danger. However, if you notice your vehicle acting strangely in between oil changes, the following are some indicators that your vehicle might need an oil and filter change.
- Your dashboard “Oil Change” or “Check Engine” reminder appears - this can take into consideration driving habits and conditions
- Oil is dark in color - clean oil is clear with a slight brown tint.
- Mileage is past the next recommended oil change - consult the driver’s side windshield sticker, or the retail service center where you had your oil changed last, for mileage and date of last oil change.
- Grinding noise - Oil lubricates the parts of your engine. If you hear a grinding or tapping noise, this can indicate that your engine is not adequately lubricated.
- Engine overheating - Oil lubricates the engine and also manages the engine’s temperature. Overheating can also lead to a burning smell.
- Oil leak - Leaks need an examination immediately. An oil leak can cause your oil levels to lower and can damage your engine. It’s also a fire hazard.
If your vehicle is experiencing any of these indicators, or it’s almost time for your next oil change, schedule an appointment today with a Jensen Tire and Auto certified service technician to ensure your engine is running efficiently and effectively.
Request an Appointment Today!
Schedule an appointment for oil change today!
Common problems if you don't change your oil
Procrastinating getting an oil change can lead to catastrophic damage to your engine and vehicle. If you wait too long to change your car’s oil, here are a few examples of what could happen.
- Complete Engine Failure - Going too long without changing your oil could eventually result in you losing your car. Dirty oil stops removing heat from your engine, which may result in a total engine shut down. The only way to fix it would be to buy a new engine.
- Weakened Engine Performance - If you don’t get an oil change, your vehicle is forced to recycle dirty oil back through your engine. The oil doesn’t lubricate the engine as well as it should. This means your car has to work harder to perform. This can also lead to bad fuel efficiency.
- Excessive Wear to Lubricated Parts - When the oil is not sufficiently lubricating the engine parts, those parts get damaged. If they get damaged enough, they might have to be fixed or even replaced, which can become costly.
Routinely changing your oil is an essential step to the performance and longevity of your vehicle. At Jensen Tire & Auto, we understand that you want quality service with cost-effective options. That is why if you find a lower locally advertised competitor service coupon* on any service we offer, we’ll match it – PERIOD!